Our Finances: Efficient and Verified
Independent Monitors Recognize UNICEF USA
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) works in more than 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children's lives than any other humanitarian organization by providing health care and immunization, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF's work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States.
Learn more about why UNICEF USA is one of the best charities to donate to.
UNICEF USA continues to receive the highest ratings for accountability and transparency from Charity Navigator. UNICEF USA has been vetted by GlobalGiving, and has achieved Superstar status for demonstrating the highest level of engagement and/or effectiveness over the past year. Our program expense ratio of 88.9 percent means we are a highly efficient charity, as defined by independent monitors, with 2.9 percent of our expenses going to administration and 8 percent to fundraising. This means that, out of every dollar spent, 88.9 cents goes directly toward helping children. We spend just 8 cents on fundraising costs, and less than 3 cents on administration.
Organized under the laws of New York State as a not-for-profit corporation, the U.S. Fund for UNICEF d/b/a UNICEF USA is exempt from tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and qualifies for the maximum charitable contribution deduction by donors. Our Federal Identification Number is 13-1760110.
For more details, download a PDF version of our most recent financial statements and IRS forms below:
- IRS letter confirming our 501(c)(3) status (U.S. Fund for UNICEF)
I. Audited Financials
- 2018 - 2019 financial statement
- 2017 - 2018 financial statement
- 2016 - 2017 financial statement
- 2015 - 2016 financial statement
- 2014 - 2015 financial statement
- 2013 - 2014 financial statement
II. IRS Form 990's (U.S. Fund for UNICEF)
- 2018 Form 990 USF
- 2017 Form 990 USF
- 2016 Form 990 USF
- 2015 Form 990 USF
- 2014 Form 990 USF
- 2013 Form 990 USF
III. IRS Form 990's (UNICEF USA Impact Fund for Children Inc formerly U.S. Fund for UNICEF's IKAC)
- 2018 Form 990 USF IF4C
- 2017 Form 990 USF IKAC
- 2016 Form 990 USF IKAC
- 2015 Form 990 USF IKAC
- 2014 Form 990 USF IKAC
- 2013 Form 990 USF IKAC
In addition, financial information may be obtained directly from state agencies.
Conflict, famine, disaster and refugee crises threaten children's lives and futures every day. UNICEF's work for children has never been more relevant or more urgent. In 2019, UNICEF and partners:
- helped support the safe births of 27.4 million babies in health facilities
- treated over 4.9 million children for severe acute malnutrition
- provided 65.7 million children with three doses of the Pentavalent (five-in-one) vaccine, which includes the vaccines for diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis
- responded to 281 humanitarian emergencies in 96 countries
- reached 7.4 million children living through humanitarian situations with basic education programs
- helped provide 18.3 million people with clean, safe drinking water
- worked in over 150 countries to prevent and respond to violence against children
Since its founding in 1947, UNICEF USA has raised a cumulative total of $8.2 billion in donations and gifts-in-kind to help put children first.