Kids need UNICEF more than ever:
- There are 2.2 billion people in the world living without access to safe water at home and 1.9 billion lack basic sanitation.
- More than 1,000 children under age 5 die every day from diseases linked to unsafe drinking water, poor sanitation or poor hygiene. In conflict, children under age 5 are over 20 times more likely to die from diarrheal disease linked to unsafe WASH than from violence.
- Handwashing with soap and water is a proven, cost-effective method of infection prevention and control; and yet 42 percent of schools worldwide lack the supplies and facilities students need to wash their hands, and only half of healthcare facilities globally have basic hygiene services at points of care.
- Severe drought linked to climate change fuels displacement and food insecurity, impacting children's nutrition and education and heightening risks of child marriage and child labor
Meet Yusto Katahoire, Chief Hygienist at a Uganda health center
Why donate to UNICEF? It's a smart way to make your money go further for children:
- UNICEF gets results: Every year, UNICEF helps millions of families gain improved access to safe water services and basic sanitation.
- UNICEF tackles tough problems: Through UNICEF's COVID-19 response, 106 million people in 120 countries gained critical water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services and supplies.
- UNICEF is undeterred: Despite years of fighting in Yemen, for example, with the nation's water supply under attack, UNICEF keeps safe water flowing to millions of people while delivering essential hygiene supplies.
- UNICEF innovates to reach more children: With partners, UNICEF develops and installs climate-resilient safe-water services — including solar-powered water systems — benefiting millions of children and their families.
- UNICEF knows keeping girls is school means meeting their hygiene needs: Through UNICEF programs, millions of girls and women in need receive emergency menstrual health and hygiene supplies, including essentials like sanitary pads and tampons, pain medication and soap.
Meet the UNICEF Workers Helping Kids Around the World
EVERY CHILD HEALTHY
EVERY CHILD EDUCATED
EVERY CHILD SAFE
EVERY CHILD NOURISHED
EVERY CHILD PROTECTED
EVERY CHILD RESPECTED