Four Months After Typhoon Haiyan
The pain of loss still cuts deep, but there is also a growing sense that recovery is possible.
A new UNICEF report, Four Months After [pdf], describes both the progress made and the challenges that lie ahead for Filipino children. Some highlights:
- 14.1 million people, including 5.9 million children were affected
- four months on, 4.1 million people are still displaced
- nearly 3,200 schools and day care centers were destroyed
Key figures about UNICEF's role in the humanitarian response:
- 930,000 people received access to safe water
- 430,200 children received school supplies as part of a back-to-school campaign
- 97,000 children have been screened for malnutrition
- 1.1 million children have been targeted for vaccination
- 17,000 children are benefitting from 89 UNICEF Child-Friendly Spaces
Watch the UNICEF video "Four Months After Typhoon Haiyan:"