Is it true that your CEO receives more than $1 million per year?
Anonymous emails claim that UNICEF USA's CEO earns more than $1 million and has use of a Rolls Royce. These assertions are false.
As President and CEO of UNICEF USA, Caryl Stern earns $569,378. She does not have a company car; she drives a 2016 Toyota Hybrid.
Below are the facts about executive compensation and our excellent record of fiscal governance and efficiency.
At first glance, the email may seem legitimate, which is why many people have re-forwarded it to friends and family. On closer inspection, you will notice that the email contains no signature, nor is an author or source identified. If the author made himself or herself known, we would be able to reach out directly to set the record straight.
Anonymous campaigns of misinformation can be damaging if left unchallenged, so we appreciate your taking the time to investigate erroneous information you may have received.
Please feel free to link to this page or refer friends here if you come across the email again. We appreciate your help in dispelling this falsehood.
- UNICEF USA's tax returns (called "990s") are published annually and are readily available to the public. Our financial statements are independently audited by nonprofit watchdog groups such as Charity Navigator and reported in our annual report, also available online.
- UNICEF USA receives the highest ratings for transparency and accountability from Charity Navigator. Of every dollar spent, 89 cents goes directly toward helping children. We spend just 8 cents on fundraising costs and 3 cents on administration.
- Those figures mean that we received Charity Navigator’s top scores for our low fundraising expenses (10 out of a possible 10 in the category).
- We are also recognized for our excellent stewardship of donor funds by the Better Business Bureau, which gives us a Gold Seal for meeting all 20 of their standards for charity accountability.
- Some versions of the "Rolls Royce" email confuse UNICEF USA's President & CEO with UNICEF's Executive Director. There is no Rolls Royce or company car provided for any staff member at UNICEF or UNICEF USA, including the President & CEO of UNICEF USA or UNICEF's Executive Director.
- The salary information for UNICEF's Executive Director is also public record and can be viewed here.