Welcome to UNICEF USA!
Stay informed on UNICEF's work saving and protecting children around the world
Partner Since 1981
For over 30 years, Johnson & Johnson and UNICEF have worked together to improve the lives of children and their families globally, with a mutual commitment to paving the way to a healthier future for mothers, newborns, children and their community.
Johnson & Johnson's Charitable Partnership With UNICEF USA Is Doing a World of Good
Since the collaboration began, UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson’s work in 20 countries and territories has reached hundreds of thousands of women and children with life-saving assistance by strengthening health systems through the training and empowerment of frontline health workers and the development and implementation of innovative tools to help bridge health access and health equity gaps.
UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson are committed to growing our partnership to ensure we drive transformational change for newborns and mothers. With the launch of our new global partnership, UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson will now be able to strengthen health systems at a global scale. By building on our proven record of strategic interventions, the shared impact over the next several years has the potential to catalyze results for children and communities most in need all over the world.
How Johnson & Johnson's Support Makes a Difference for Children
A Focus on Health Care Workers
A robust, trained and motivated healthcare workforce is critical to saving and improving the lives of women, children and their families while also improving national health outcomes. Since 2015, UNICEF has trained over 240,000 community health workers, helping families in remote locations gain access to quality health care. Johnson & Johnson is committed to strengthening the people at the front lines of delivering care and has been an important partner in helping to bring skills based training and capacity building to frontline health care workers in countries like Vietnam and Pakistan.
- UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson are working together in Vietnam to ensure community health workers and midwives receive quality skills-based training to better serve new mothers and their newborns in some of the most remote and underserved provinces. Key activities include building the capacity of healthcare workers at national and subnational levels on skilled birth assistance; implementation and scaling up of early essential newborn care interventions and newborn care and early education.
- Johnson & Johnson supported UNICEF programs in Pakistan that provided female health workers training on hygiene, sanitation, immunization and nutrition to better serve the mother and newborns in their care. Additionally, female health workers were equipped with portable projectors to show instructional videos to strengthen shared learning on healthy behavior among the women in their communities.
A Focus on Maternal and Newborn Health
With the support of partners like Johnson & Johnson, governments, and non-governmental organizations, the number of deaths among children under age 5 worldwide has declined more than half - from 12.6 million in 1990 to 5.4 million in 2017. UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson are working together to build sustainable national capacity to support maternal and newborn health, especially in the most difficult places.
- In Nepal, Pakistan and India, UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson brought basic healthcare to newborns in remote locations that reduced soaring neonatal mortality rates, while recruiting and training community health workers to conduct home check-ups of pregnant women, new mothers and newborns.
- In the Philippines, UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson worked together to help identify underlying issues of high maternal mortality rates and to increase the quality of care for mothers and infants by improving service delivery and through capacity building, community empowerment and provision of supplies and equipment.
A Focus on Innovation
Innovation has always been at the heart of UNICEF’s ability to achieve results for children, from establishing new vaccine delivery methods, to piloting new technologies and scaling up proven solutions. UNICEF identifies, tests and scales creative solutions to meet the needs of the most vulnerable children.
Johnson & Johnson shares a similar commitment to fostering innovative technologies to positively impact human health and is an important partner in UNICEF’s efforts to develop mobile technology with a focus on improving maternal and newborn health outcomes.
- With Johnson & Johnson’s support, UNICEF Innovation developed a "1000 Days" toolkit for digital health. The toolkit consists of an easy-to-use set of open source digital health assets that provide better quality tools for frontline health workers. With the toolkit, health workers are able to improve the quality of care and reach more families, resulting in better health outcomes for mothers and children.
- Additionally, UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson are supporting three mobile health technologies in China, Mexico and Uganda aimed at extending access to health information to reduce maternal, neonatal and child mortality, improve health outcomes, and facilitate data-driven interventions in high-risk populations.
Read More About the UNICEF and Johnson & Johnson Partnership:
Are you interested in sponsoring a child? Learn how you can save and protect every child with UNICEF.