UNICEF USA is dedicated to honoring the privacy and wishes of our supporters at all times. Following are details about our privacy policies, including what type of information is gathered and tracked, how the information is used and with whom the information is shared. The statement was last updated on December 9, 2022. Updates to this privacy statement will be reflected on this web page.
This privacy statement is separate from other policies that may apply to UNICEF USA partners or other parts of our operations. This includes the following:
This Policy is applicable to all website visitors, registered users, and all other users of our Services. It applies to information we collect:
Via your activity on our Services, including but not limited to registration forms, quizzes, and searches. This information is collected based on your direct input.
Via email, text, and other electronic messages sent between you and our Services
Through mobile and desktop applications that we may provide.
Via your interactions with any UNICEF USA advertisements and/or applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to our Services
This Policy does not apply to information we collect:
Through any other means, including on any other website operated by a separate company or any third party, including our partners, affiliates and subsidiaries, as applicable.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The information we collect on or through our Services may include:
- Information that you provide when using our Services, such as information provided through the following means:
- Creating an account and accessing our Services using a user name and password;
- Donating, which may include, full name, home address, billing address, payment type, and credit card details, as applicable, to ensure secure, non-fraudulent transactions;
- Registering for any event or group;
- Signing up for newsletters or other information sources;
- Taking quizzes or playing games;
- Signing up to receive SMS text messages. For more information regarding our use of SMS, please view our SMS policy.
- Sending a comment online or reporting a problem with our Services, whether that be online or offline via our dedicated Call Center;
- Submitting search queries through our Services;
Information that You Provide to UUSA
Depending on the type of interaction you have with us, we may collect the following information (“personal information”) when you openly and directly share this data with us:
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Postal Address
- Telephone numbers
- Email Address
- Company Name
- Credit card (only store last 4 digits)
- Bank information or bank billing for payment authorization when this payment method is selected
- Information related to any employment application, including employment and education history
- Demographic information including, but not limited to, age, birthdate, gender, state of residence, marital status, home ownership status, donation history, occupation, education, ethnicity, that we analyze for statistical purposes.
In addition to these categories of information, we may collect and process information about your interactions with us. This includes details about our contacts with you through email, SMS, U.S. Post, on the phone or in person (i.e., the date, time, and method of contact), details about donations you make to us, events or activities that you register for or attend and any other support you provide to us. We may also collect and record any other relevant information you share with us about yourself, including your interests or your affiliations with other charities, community groups, your employer or a UUSA corporate partner.
Information that We Collect Automatically When You Use Our Services
We will automatically collect the following information when you use our Services:
- Technical information;
- IP address, browser type, and plug-in details;
- Information about how you interact with our website;
- Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) and related information;
- Operating system information; and
- Local time zone.
Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Services, we may use automatic data collection technologies, such as cookies, tags, and pixels to better understand how people use our Services. The types of information we collect using automatic data collection technologies include:
- Details about your visits to our Services, including traffic data, top pages visited, referral pages, location data, device type and browsers, and other data that is available through technologies and tools implemented on our Services
- Referral pages, such as the social media platforms that bring visitors to our Services
- Organic and paid search terms that bring visitors to our Service
- Information regarding the programmatic display ads on other sites that bring visitors to our Services
- Details about click-through rates using Call-to-Action (CTAs) buttons
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services.
We may tie the information we collect automatically to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or that you provide to us to give us a better understanding of the type of interaction that is occurring with constituents and with our Services.
We collect this information in order to improve our Services and deliver a more personalized experience, including by enabling us to, e.g.:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Determine which of our Services pages receive the most interest;
- Customize our Services in accordance with individuals’ interests;
- Speed up searching;
- Recognize you when you return to our Services; and
- Provide better advertisements for our Services.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Tags. All pages of our Services are connected to tracking by third-party analytics providers. This allows UUSA to better understand activity, interaction, and how users move around on our Services. Google Analytics is a common tool used on the majority of business websites. To learn more about how to opt-out of tracking by Google Analytics, please click here.
- Pixels. Pages of our Services and our emails may contain small electronic files known as pixels (also referred to as clear gifs, web beacons, and single-pixel gifs) that permit UUSA, for example, to count users who have visited those pages, clicked on an ad, or opened an email and for other related website statistics (e.g. , recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
Children and Minors
Our Services are not intended for minors and children under 13 years of age and only should be used by young people under age 18 with the direct permission, consent, and oversight by legal guardians.
Young people under 13 should not use or provide any information on our Services, through any of its features, register on our Services, make any purchases through our Services, use any of the interactive or public comment features of our Services, or provide any information about themselves to UUSA, including name, address, telephone number, email address, screen name or other information that can be considered linked to a particular person.
If we become aware of any information provided on our Services from children under age 13, we will delete it. We do not store or use personal information relating to children under 13 for our own purposes or share it with any 3rd party.
We may collect personal information from minors ages 13-18, including through official UNICEF USA programs such as our High School and College Youth Clubs. (e.g. High School and College Youth Clubs).
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use the Personal Information you provide to us for the following purposes:
- To provide you with information about our work or our activities;
- To fundraise in accordance with our internal policies and procedures;
- To organize events that you have registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- To process donations, sponsorships and purchases;
- To provide our newsletters and publications, provided you have given your consent;
- To respond to your questions and provide related services;
- To provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or attended, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- To tailor advertising that is presented to you on the Internet according to your interests, preferences and other characteristics (as described below);
- To respond to applications for employment;
- To ensure that content from our Services is presented most effectively for you and your computer; and
- Where we are required by law to disclose or otherwise use your information.
We may use the Personal Information we collect about you:
- To administer our Services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- If you make a donation, we will use this Personal Data to create an account for you where you can securely access your donation history;
- To improve our Services to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- As part of our efforts to keep our Services safe and secure;
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Services about goods or services that may interest you or them.
We may use the Personal Information we receive from other sources to:
- Combine it with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined personal data for the purposes set out above.
We may process aggregated information about our Services’ visitors, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our organization.
Credit Card Transactions, Electronic Fund Transfers, Payments by Check or Money Order and Online Financial Transactions. We hire third parties to provide credit card, bank, payment and information processing services and order fulfillment services. If you choose to make an application for employment, make a donation online, by phone, through the mail or by other means, or make a purchase from our Gift Catalog we will share your personal information with our processing service providers
Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Services
Trusted third-party companies and individuals
In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your Personal Information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or asset
For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of UNICEF USA, our donors, partners, or other stakeholders. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We disclose this information to be able to provide you with our Services in an efficient and effective manner, to communicate with you about our Services, to better understand how our Services are used, to analyze the effectiveness of our Services and marketing efforts, and to provide you with marketing.
We may disclose aggregated information about our Services’ visitors, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
CHOICES ABOUT HOW WE COLLECT, USE, AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
Automated Cookies and Third-Party Advertising
Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Information
As part of our efforts to provide you with control over your personal information, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correction, or deletion of the personal information that we hold about you. When we receive a request, we may be required to verify your identity in accordance with the Verifying Requests section, below.
Please note that we may decline to accommodate an access, correction, or deletion request where we are required or permitted to retain the information. We similarly may refuse to accommodate a request if we believe doing so would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect. Should an exemption apply, we will notify you of the exemption in our response to your request.
When we receive a request, we may be obligated to verify that the person requesting information or deletion is the person to whom the data request relates. This verification process is critical to maintaining the privacy and security of the personal data that you entrust to us. To verify a request, we may request up to three pieces of personal information about you to compare against our records. We may also request that you sign a declaration under the penalty of perjury from the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
We will retain your personal information until it is no longer necessary to accomplish the purpose for which it was collected. We may retain your personal information for longer periods for specific purposes to the extent that we are obliged to do so in accordance with applicable laws and regulations; to protect you, other people, and us from fraud, abuse, and unauthorized access; as necessary to protect our legal rights; or for certain business requirements.
We will delete your personal information when it is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or upon your request, subject to exceptions as discussed in this policy or under applicable law, contract, or regulation.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Payment transactions and related information are generally processed by third-party payment processors.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Services. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our Services.
Third Party Links
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites. When we provide links, we do so only as a convenience and do not endorse any products or services and are not responsible for any content of any third-party website or any links contained within. It is important to note that this Statement only applies to our Services. We are not responsible and assume no responsibility for any personal information collected, stored, or used by any third party as a result of you visiting third-party websites. We also advise that you read the privacy notice of any third-party websites you choose to visit carefully.
or via our toll-free number: 1-800-367-5437