The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International (DKG), an international women's organization dedicated to excellence in education, is a long-time supporter of UNICEF's education programs globally.
Since 2010, DKG has supported Schools for Africa — a partnership between UNICEF, the Nelson Mandela Foundation and the Hamburg Society to reach the most disadvantaged children in Africa with improved access to quality education.
The program has helped tens of millions of children in 21 countries across Africa — Botswana, Burundi, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Liberia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda — focusing on:
- improving access to quality basic education through safe, inclusive and healthy schools, gender-sensitive education and qualified teacher and child-centered pedagogy
- promoting greater involvement of communities in children’s early learning and well-being through parental education
- increasing access to and quality of informal learning programs and education for children in emergencies
- using an equity strategy to increase education rates for girls, rural and urban poor, ethnic minorities and children with disabilities
With DKG's help, Schools for Africa is creating schools that serve as protective environments for the children who need it most: especially girls, orphans and children living in extreme poverty. To date, DKG has raised $500,000 for the program.
Previously, DKG supported UNICEF education and literacy programs in Central America, Gambia and Afghanistan, including raising over $200,000 for programs in Afghanistan.
- DKG FAQ responses (PDF)
- DKG chapters can donate digitally via the Donate form linked here and at the top of this page, or mail a check (include organization and chapter names on the memo line) to: UNICEF USA, Attn: Global Cause Partnerships, 125 Maiden Lane, New York , NY 10038
Top photo: Children study in a classroom newly built by UNICEF at Birere Primary School in Goma, capital of North Kivu province, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, on October 9, 2021. © UNICEF/UN0549953/Dubourthoumieu