Providing Help for Children
Progress in Saving Children's Lives
Every day, 18,000 children under the age of five die from things we can prevent. They die of things most people in the U.S. rarely worry about. Malnutrition. Unsafe drinking water. The lack of an affordable vaccine.
UNICEF is doing whatever it takes to reach a day when the number of children dying from preventable causes is not 18,000—it is ZERO.
The world is closer than ever before, thanks to lifesaving interventions and programs that have helped reduce daily child deaths by nearly 50 percent since 1990.
UNICEF Is on the Ground to Help Children
UNICEF works in more than 190 countries and territories to help all children reach their full potential. Forty years ago, UNICEF figured out that promoting simple, low-cost interventions like handwashing and breastfeeding could save millions of lives.
UNICEF isn't daunted by war or geography. When roads are impassable, UNICEF delivers supplies by boat or bicycle or donkey. UNICEF is so trusted that it has negotiated ceasefires in war zones to immunize children.
- UNICEF provides child immunizations and vaccinations to more than a third of the world's children.
- UNICEF provides families with clean drinking water and sanitation, helping nearly 1.8 billion people gain access to safe drinking water.
- UNICEF helps protect children against malaria; in 2012 we distributed more than 18 million anti-malaria bed nets.
- UNICEF provides nourishment to prevent malnutrition; in some countries we are the main provider of lifesaving ready-to-eat therapeutic foods.
- UNICEF participates in the fight against AIDS by caring for children affected by AIDS and ensuring that infected pregnant women get the drugs they need to prevent transmission of the virus to their babies.
- UNICEF works to protect children from abuse, aiming to stop child exploitation and trafficking.
- UNICEF strives to provide access to a quality education for all children.
Download a web-friendly brochure depicting UNICEF's work.
Closer and Closer to ZERO
UNICEF has helped save more children's lives than any other humanitarian organization.
We're making tremendous progress. But UNICEF will not rest until the number of children dying from things we can prevent is ZERO. With your support, we will get there.
We invite you to join us in our efforts to save the world's children.