In celebration of the National Honor Society (NHS)'s centennial in 2021, NHS and UNICEF USA have partnered to empower chapters to activate and raise money to build 10 sustainable classrooms in Côte d'Ivoire through the Conceptos Plasticos program, using bricks made from recycled plastic -- one classroom to honor every decade of NHS.
This project will not only fund the actual construction of the buildings, but will also provide desks, chairs, school supplies, teacher trainings, latrines, solar panels, water points, community engagement opportunities, and implementation of the Green School Project.
It will also create a women-led recycling market that will convert Côte d'Ivoire's plastic waste into safe and durable low-cost building materials, empowering women and lifting families out of poverty. This partnership will provide NHS students with insight into UNICEF's global work around education, climate change, and gender equity while challenging them to connect these themes to issues impacting their local communities.
Download the resources below to learn about UNICEF's work around the world, the partnership with NHS, and how YOU can make an impact for children in Côte d'Ivoire!
March 3 | 7:00 pm EST
Building classrooms with recycled plastic bricks – change the world with UNICEF! - REGISTER HERE
In celebration of the National Honor Society (NHS) centennial in 2021, UNICEF USA and NHS have partnered to empower chapters to activate and raise money to build 10 classrooms in Côte d'Ivoire through the Conceptos Plasticos program, creating a women-led recycling market that will convert Côte d'Ivoire’s plastic waste into safe and durable low-cost building materials. Through our collective impact, UNICEF USA and NHS can reach the most vulnerable children and families and ensure they are able to survive and thrive. Join us for a webinar to learn more about our new partnership, the Conceptos Plasticos program and how you can get involved.
- UNICEF History
- 10 things to know about UNICEF
- UNICEF and UNICEF USA: What's the difference?
- NHS Partnership with UNICEF USA - Overview
- UNICEF's work in Climate, Energy and Environment
- UNICEF's work in Gender Equality
- UNICEF's work in Education
- Fundraising and Event Guide
- Virtual Event Ideas
- To host an event, submit the Fundraiser and Events Application!
(Make sure you select the National Honor Society dropdown when you register)
- To submit your funds:
- Remit Digitally: www.unicefusa.org/giveNHS
- Remit via check: mail in your check with this Donation Form
The Impact of your Support
- $1.00 could provide five bars of soap to support improved hygiene and infection prevention and control
- $3.60 could provide one student a UNICEF backpack to organize and transport their school supplies
- $4.70 could provide one box of ten pencils and one pack of ten notebooks to a student or to share with several students
- $4.80 could provide one plastic brick for school construction as part of the Conceptos Plasticos project
- $110 could support the construction of one latrine stall at a school
- $48,000 could support the cost of building one classroom from plastic bricks as part of the Conceptos Plasticos project, as well as help provide textbooks, latrines, teacher trainings, and much more!
A program of the National Association of Secondary School Prinicipals (NASSP), the National Honor Society is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921. Today, it is estimated that more than one million students annually participate in NHS activities. NHS chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. territories, and Canada.