Human trafficking exists in every state across the U.S., but we believe that we can end it! That’s why we are heading into our third year of Shut Out Trafficking, travelling across the country to mobilize college campuses to take action against trafficking.
Today we officially kick off our 2016-2017 Shut Out Trafficking season.
This fall, we’re visiting Rice University, Notre Dame de Namur University, Florida International University, and returning to University of Central Florida for a second year. At each school, we will help to facilitate a week’s worth of programming to educate four unique communities on the issue of human trafficking. From film screenings to football games, PSAs to panel discussions, Shut Out Trafficking partners with the National Consortium of Academics and Sports (NCAS) and universities across the country to combat human trafficking through the power of student activism.
Here is an overview of the semester, featuring all the events that are open to the public:
Rice University: October 31- November 5
- Kickoff Keynote: Monday, October 31st, 7:00-8:30pm in Sewall Hall 301
- Not My Life Film Screening + Panel Discussion: Wednesday, November 2nd, 7:00-8:30pm in Sewall Hall 301
Notre Dame de Namur University: November 9-12
- Kickoff Keynote: Wednesday, November 9th, 7:00pm, NDNU Theatre
- "Survivor-Made" Art Therapy Event + Fair Trade Fair: Thursday, November 10th, 10:00am-2:00pm, NDNU Quadrangle
- Not My Life Film Screening + Panel Discussion: Friday, November 11th, 7:00pm, NDNU Theatre
Florida International University: November 14-19
- Kickoff Keynote: Monday, November 14th, 6:00-8:00pm, Stadium Club
- Not My Life Film Screening + Panel Discussion: Tuesday, November 15th, 3:30-5:00pm, GC 243
University of Central Florida: November 28- December 2
- Kickoff Keynote: Monday, November 28th, time TBD
- Not My Life Film Screening + Panel Discussion: Tuesday, November 29th, time TBD
In its pilot year, Shut Out Trafficking engaged ten cities and reached over 19,460 people during the fall and spring semesters. We had a tremendous impact through online media with numerous blogs, press releases, and news clips, as well as 10.9 million impressions on Twitter with the hashtag #ShutOutHT. Last year, Shut Out Trafficking engaged eight cities and reached over 24,500 students, educators and community members.
This year, our goals are even higher and we can’t wait to share our successes with you.
Keep up with us as we travel to Houston, Texas, Belmont, California, Miami and Orlando, Florida! Follow us on social media: @EndTraffick on Twitter, @ShutOut_HT on Instagram and Shut Out Trafficking on Facebook.