Written by: Malea Otranto
We are incredibly excited to be launching our second year of Shut Out Trafficking! Our Shut Out Trafficking initiative was created by The End Trafficking project at the U.S. Fund for UNICEF and the National Consortium for Academics and Sports in an effort to leverage resources and raise awareness about human trafficking in the United States.
The partnership launched by engaging 10 campus communities selected to participate during the 2014-2015 pilot year, and expects to reach at least 10 new campuses each year. Within the academic year, we will jointly implement programming designed to involve and support athletes, coaches, athletics administrators, and members of the general student body in raising awareness about and exposing the hidden injustices of human trafficking, both globally and on a domestic level. To learn more about the initiative, click here.
This fall, the End Trafficking team will be traveling all across the country in order to raise awareness about human trafficking and mobilize college students to take action At each college, there will be open events that anyone and everyone can attend!
The following events are open to the public, and we encourage anyone who will be in the area to attend.
1. Drake University: November 2nd- November 7th
- Monday November 2nd: Opening Keynote speech | Location: Shelsow Auditorium | Time: 7PM-8:30PM
- Tuesday, November 3rd: Women’s Basketball Game vs. Grandview | Location: Knapp Center | Time 7:00PM
- Thursday, November, 5th: Not My Life documentary + discussion | Location: Parents Hall South | Time: 7PM-9PM
- Saturday, November 7th: Cumulating event, Fair Trade and State-wide Anti-trafficking organization fair | Location: Upper Olmsted | Time: 10AM-12PM
2. U-Mass Boston: November 8th-November 13th
- Monday, November 9th: Opening Ceremony | Location: Campus Center, 3rd floor, Ballroom B&C | Time: 11:30-2PM
- Tuesday, November 10th: Not My Life screening | Location: Campus Center, 3rd floor, Ballroom C | Time: 3:45-6PM
- Thursday, November 12th: Professor Roundtable Discussion | Location: ISC-Atrium | Time: 3-5PM
- Friday, November 13th: Fair Trade Fair | Location: Campus Center, Campus Terrace | Time: 12-2PM
- Women’s Ice Hockey Game| Location: Clark Athletic Center Ice Rink | Time: 3:30-6pm
3. University of South Florida: November 14th- November 20th
- Monday, November 16th: Men’s Basketball Game vs. NJIT | Location: Sun Dome | Time: 7pm EST
- Tuesday, November 17th: Keynote Address and Not My Life Screening | Location: Patel Center Auditorium | Time: 7pm EST
- Wednesday, November 18th: Human Trafficking Awareness Day and Fair Trade Giveaway | Location: Marshall Student Center Bull Market | Time: 10am-2pm EST
- Thursday, November 19th: Toiletry Supply Drive to Benefit Florida Dream Center, before Men’s Basketball Game vs. George Washington | Location: Sun Dome - All Gates | Time: 6pm EST
- Friday, November 20th: Bulls Zone Tailgating Trafficking Awareness before Football game vs. Cincinnati | Location: Raymond James Stadium Bulls Zone Tailgating Area | Time: 5-7:30pm EST
4. University of South Alabama: December 1st- December 5th
- Tuesday, December 1st: Keynote Speaking Event | Location: TBD | Time: 5PM-7PM
- Wednesday, December 2nd: Not My Life | Location: TBD | Time: 6PM-8PM
- Thursday, December 3rd: Round table discussion | Location: TBD | Time: TBD
- Friday, December 4th: Fair Trade Fair | Location: TBD | Time: TBD
- Saturday, December 5th: Football game | Location: TBD | Time: TBD