Equality for Girls
Gender Equality Is a Human Rights Issue
Women and girls deserve the same rights, resources, opportunities and protections as men and boys. When women and girls are given the opportunity to thrive, society as a whole benefits. Strong, well-educated and fully empowered girls grow up to transform their communities — and then pass on those benefits to their children, and their children’s children.
The time is now to empower girls and women around the world. UNICEF and partners are committed to ensuring that all girls and women, rural and urban, get the opportunity to achieve their dreams.
Help girls to live up to their full potential by helping UNICEF to:
- ensure equal access to education — 61 million girls are out of school at the primary and lower-secondary level, and twice as many girls as boys will never even start school
- prevent child marriage — 15 million girls are still married every year
- improve water infrastructure — in 8 out of 10 households without running water, it’s the girls who spend hours every day collecting water, forcing them to miss out on school
- provide quality health care — 300,000 girls and women die each year from complications in pregnancy and childbirth
- promote programs designed to end gender-based violence and offer psychosocial support to girls and women who have been harmed — every 10 minutes, an adolescent girl dies as a result of violence
- stop female genital mutilation (FGM) — this year alone, millions of girls will be forced to undergo FGM, most of them before their fifth birthday
- and more
Help girls change the world by making a 100 percent tax-deductible donation to UNICEF. 88.4% of every dollar spent goes directly to help children.