I’m always so proud that our work organizing volunteers stands in support of staff like Marissa Aroy and that you can always find volunteer stories of compassion and giving in times of emergency.
Here are a few ways you can help UNICEF today as we collectively respond to the tremendous need in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan:
1. Donate to UNICEF's relief and rebuilding efforts. Support UNICEF's work in the Philippines: $10, $20, $50 or any amount you can give will help children in the Philippines rebuild their lives.
2. Talk to the children in your lives about the disaster. Start a conversation about what they have heard and seen about the emergency. Help them feel personally safe and encourage them to take constructive action in response to the relief and recovery efforts, if they feel inclined.
3. Mobilize a school or community response. Brainstorm ways that you can mobilize your networks to raise funds and awareness for the Philippines. Be sure your efforts are a rich learning experience and appropriate for UNICEF.
5. Register as a UNICEF Volunteer. The UNICEF Action Center is a plethora of ideas and resources.
6. Keep us posted! Send us your photos, ideas, and actions on the UNICEF Action Center or the UNICEF USA Facebook page. We’ll be looking out for them!
Lastly, I just want to thank all of the thousands of volunteers around the country who have responded thus far. We can't thank you enough for your creativity, ingenuity and perseverance. Let’s get to work!